What Should I Do If I Am Hit By A Car As A Pedestrian?
We live in a tropical paradise that allows us the ability to walk to many places almost every day of the year! Especially here in Fort Lauderdale, many of us work and live in the city. However, research shows while walking in general may do you good, walking in Florida could be hazardous to your health.
Florida leads the nation with the number of pedestrian accidents each year. In 2019, a report from Smart Growth America and the National Complete Streets Coalition stated that nine of the 20 deadliest U.S. cities for pedestrians are in Florida, with the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach metropolis ranking #14.
Fortunately, most pedestrian accidents leave minor injuries, but some of them can be devastating and even deadly. When a vehicle hits a pedestrian, the person’s complete lack of protection ultimately allows for many common injuries such as broken bones, road rash and bruising. It is important that you hire a personal injury attorney who will make sure you receive compensation for your current and future medical bills.
If you are hit by a car as a pedestrian, there are a few things you should do (and not do) to help maximize the potential outcome of your legal case:
- Call The Police – It is important that the driver be held accountable for his/her actions and a police report is the first step to recording the incident. The police report will be crucial to determining fault.
- Locate Witnesses – Anyone who may have been present at the scene that would be willing to give an account of what they saw could be extremely valuable to your case. Collect their name and phone numbers to share with your attorney.
- Take Photos – Since you are at the scene of the accident, it’s important to collect as much “evidence” as you can if possible. Take photos of the entire scene, roadways/intersections/ damages to the vehicle and yourself as well.
- Limit Communication – While you want to be sure that everyone involved in the accident is medically sound, you are only obligated to (and should only) make statements regarding the accident to the police – not the driver or anyone else – until you contact your attorney.
- Hire A Personal Injury Attorney – Pedestrian accidents can be complicated and you will need an experienced attorney like the Gainza Law Group to manage your legal claims.
It can sometimes be very clear who is at fault for a pedestrian accident, but other times it may be a grey area. However, the findings of a police report are important because it will contain important indicators of fault, such as car speed, traffic instructions, crosswalks, etc. When a driver is clearly at fault, the pedestrian can usually recover compensation from the driver’s insurance policy.
If you carry Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage on your Florida auto insurance policy, you may also be able to make a claim should the driver not have insurance. Uninsured Motorist Coverage can be used to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, future loss of earning potential, and more.
The personal injury attorneys at the Gainza Law Group in Fort Lauderdale have unparalleled experience with pedestrian accidents in Florida and have been extremely successful in recovering damages for their clients. We understand that it is important to hold accountable of your injuries all of the people or entities that may have contributed to them. The skillful personal injury attorneys at the Gainza Law Group are ready to help you fight for all of the compensation that you deserve. We can take your case all the way to trial if needed to maximize the money that you receive. Our personal injury team will handle everything with insurance companies, reports, bills and more.
When you need a personal injury lawyer you can trust to fight for your justice while also showing you the ultimate personal service and compassion, call the legal team at the Gainza Law Group. Our attorneys and staff are available 24 hours and here to help you and your loved ones.
Gainza Law Group
Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Attorneys
400 SE 8th St
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Personal Injury Attorneys Juan Gainza and Hilda Ramirez-Gainza